In July 2014, KidsWalk Coalition published its updated “Stepping to School: 2014 School Area Audit Update,” a report following up its 2011 Stepping to School report. Both offer comprehensive assessments of the pedestrian environment around public elementary and middle schools in New Orleans.
Stepping to School: 2014 School Area Audit Update (PDF, 3.2MB)
By comparing data from 2010 and 2013, KidsWalk found that pedestrian infrastructure improvements were accomplished; however, increased coordination of sidewalk and street construction is needed so students, teachers, parents and residents can walk to and from schools and neighborhood destinations with greater ease.
Download the report to view the full findings, maps and recommendations.
In May 2011, KidsWalk Coalition published “Stepping to School: An Assessment of Neighborhood Walkability and Solutions for a Safer, Healthier New Orleans.” This report offers a comprehensive assessment of pedestrian infrastructure conditions around all public elementary and middle schools throughout Orleans Parish and makes several policy recommendations to City and school officials.
In this report, the KidsWalk Coalition makes the following recommendations:
- Prioritize and fund pedestrian safety improvements around schools.
- Adopt and implement a city-wide “Complete Streets”policy.
- Create and fund a sidewalk maintenance program.
- Include pedestrian and bicycle-friendly provision sin the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
- Better coordinate with utility providers.
- Consider inspecting sidewalks through Code Enforcement.
- Adopt and fund the ADA Transition Plan.